Jan 23, 2012

8 years

Eight years ago, when I was just 17 and him 19, I met Benjamin Floyd. If you would have asked me back then, if I could picture us where we are today, I would tell you yes.

From the moment I met him, I knew this was going to be special. He was sincere, funny and most importantly, his love for God was so evident.


The two and a half years, before we married, were filled with a lot of ups and downs. It's hard feeling so strongly for someone, when your both so young. I wasn't allowed to date until I was 18, so he waited 8 months to take me on our first date. (See ladies...a keeper!) 


Eventually we both knew that our relationship had become what we hoped it never would. It was co-dependent, unhealthy and we fought all the time. God was definitely on the back burner...

In June 2005, Ben broke up with me... His reasoning was right but I remember being so angry and even hating him for it. I knew he was "the one", and wondered if I was wrong, how could I ever feel sure again? After two months of a downward spiral.. I decided to leap out of my homebody, quiet, shy, comfort zone and go half way across the country to the international house of prayer for a 6 month internship.

I'll make a very long story short but while I was there, I met God in a way I'd never even known possible. He healed my heart, and brought me to a place that I could extend forgiveness to Ben and many others. During my internship, Ben and I started talking again over the phone. When I got home in December, with the permission of my parents, he proposed. I remember feeling like all my dreams were coming true and I didn't have to control anything. It was overwhelming but wonderful.

Six months later we married!


I know there were plans for us, plans to destroy our relationship. Had Ben not listened to God, I doubt we'd be together today. Had he not been the one to lay down our relationship for the benefit of us both, I know I couldn't have.


This process brought me to a place that I can trust God with my heart and my dreams, 
because I know He cares about each one. His will isn't always easy, but it is good. 

I'm so grateful for this man that I get to spend my life with. I honestly thank God for him every day, for the way Ben loves me and for the constant encouragement he is to me.





Photobucket


Keeping up with the Cantelmos

7 comments:

  1. That is so incredible! Sometimes we have to be apart to know what we had, when we had it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good looking couple. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible story, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing story!!! and i love the 1st pic of you guys!! cute couple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm way behind on this!! But...what a great story of His timing :) I hope you're doing well! And congrats on 8 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you guys are so beautiful. marriage is the best thing in the world.

    xo

    ReplyDelete