Dec 11, 2011

Open Hands

Lets talk money. I'll be honest and say, we don't have a ton of it. There's no shame in that. We always have enough, but there was a time when we ended the year with less than a buck in our bank account.

Last year we took Dave Ramsey's course on Financial Peace. I wrote a brief testimony about it here. If your like us and you depend on commission/bonus' to pay your bills instead of a steady salary, then you know the stress it can bring. We keep savings in the bank and plan as best we can, for 3 months at a time. Most years we have our Christmas shopping money set aside by August.

This morning our church was taking a special offering for the pastors and staff for Christmas. I was praying about it earlier, asking God what He wanted us to give. It wasn't budgeted, but I knew that we could eat at home more, or just spend a little less on Christmas gifts because I wanted to bless our pastors (one of them being my dad). I reached in my wallet and gave more than I planned. It really wasn't a lot, but to us it was.

One thing I keep in mind, when it comes to tithes, offerings and even blessing others, is to keep our hands open. When we keep our fists clenched around that money, it doesn't give God the opportunity to put any back into our hands. 

Before we left, one of the pastors gave Ben a Christmas card with a very generous offering, since we are worship leaders. My heart was overwhelmed, and it brought Ben to tears. Tithing is an easy thing for us. It has always been...but offerings are different.

Your heart has to be in it. And this morning, mine was. 

I was glad to give with open hands...expecting nothing in return.. yet the Father blessed us right back...more than ten fold.

It's just one of the many ways, He is so so good to us.

Open your hands. Trust Him with your finances. He's got you.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" - Matt 6:26




Photobucket
 

5 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful post! brought tears to my eyes. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so heartfelt and beautiful. I get it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT testimony of faithfulness! so love stories like this :)

    ReplyDelete